Sunday, January 25, 2009

Camping

Camping
by gunner

Spring and then summer is not that far away to not think about it. I mean come on, who reading this has not looked out a window and pictured green trees, blue skies, and the smell of fresh pines? I know I have many times already.

Camper vs Tent:
We all our idea of a perfect camping trip. Some with a big 40 foot Winnebago with all the luxuries of home. Shower, bed, HEAT, etc… For some of us that is right. Then there are the others. I fall into that bunch. Give me a tent, sleeping bag, big ol’ fire and corn and potato’s then I am ready.

Let’s look at the difference between the two. RV, true you have heat, shower and all the comforts of home. But see that is just it, comforts of home. Why leave the house? I am not knocking this style in no way. But to me it is a great way to travel across country. Not go to your local lake and camp out every weekend.

The tent, that is camping. No shower, TV or heat coming from vents. Sleeping bag that is cold when you first get into it at night. The whole idea of camping is getting out and roughing it for however long. At least what I was taught camping was. To get away from it all and just relax. Now there will be some who will say they are relaxed in the big house on wheels, and I am sure they are. But are they camping, I mean really camping? Bacon and eggs in a cast iron skillet over an open fire with the smell & sounds of the wood popping as it burns…. Now that is camping.

Things that are good to have no matter how you camp:
Flashlights & extra batteries
First-Aid kit
Bottle of insect repellent
Cell Phone
(I put my cell phone and radio in bag and forget about them…unless I need to use them for an emergency)
Good Knife
Rope
Some cases a good weather radio
Flares to start a fire in an emergency
Water proof matches
Compass ( I have went to a handheld GPS)
Extra Clothes
Snap-lites
Whistle
Good two way radios
Advil or whatever you may take for pain

The list can go on and on. Use common sense when packing for a trip and make sure you have what YOU need to be safe and have fun. Being prepared for a trip can make the difference between having a great time or never wanting to do it again. The extra time it takes to check and check again, is really worth it.

Be safe, have fun and come back!

No comments: