Sunday, January 25, 2009

Practice at the range

Practice at the range
by gunner

Other than classes and practice in front of the mirror for stance and grip, quality time is needed on the range. Indoor or outdoor range, bottom line is YOU need to shoot and practice! All the studying in the world from a book can not replace actual shooting time on the range. Both are needed, learning from the class book & actual shooting.

Planning a trip to the range is easy. Have your range bag, portable target. Targets can be at an outdoor range, paper on a frame, cardboard mounted on wood or even clay targets for trap shooting. Every outdoor range I have been at will NOT let you bring in the metal spinning targets. To many people there to get hurt with those.

I take around 250 rounds per pistol with me. And I take a 9mm, 45acp, and .357 with me when I go. Most times I do not get all shot off but it is nice to know you have that many if needed.

The pistol I plan on using for home defense is the pistol I shoot most. I practice everything from gripping, loading, stance etc… Even kneeling and shooting. (Make sure the range officer says it is ok to shoot from that position) But I like to shoot the others just so I remember the different feel of each one.

My range bag includes:

Spotting Scope
Range Finder
Ammo
Hammer (For pounding the target in the ground)
Staple gun
Extra paper targets
Quick cleaning kit
Oil
Scope cleaning cloth
Shooting gloves (Sometimes I use these)
Basic weapon tools
Shooting pad
Duct Tape
Glasses with different color lens
Ear plugs & headset
Small wire brushes
Speed loaders
Mag loader tool

These are the things that I take with me. Now the pistols are carried in a separate case and they remain open action and unloaded in the locked case. A few range officers will ask to see in the case before you enter the range.

The range will have a list of rules posted, READ it and LIVE them! Breaking them can get you thrown off the range or worse get you shot or somebody else shot.

Please take time to go shooting, but be careful…
gunner

No comments: