Sunday, January 25, 2009

Open Fire cooking

Open Fire cooking
by gunner


Ok, you have the tent all set up, everything is placed right where you want it to be. The table is set over there, the cooler is right next to it. You have your chair set up looking at a breathtaking view (no TV tonight, you have natures big screen) and the coleman lanterns are ready and waiting for darkness…

You now have the fire pit dug and surrounded by baseball size rocks. The logs are set in a tee-pee fashion and the fire is burning just right. You place the grill over the flame and now it is time to start the cooking.

You can cook so many ways while out camping there is not enough space on this site to cover them all. So I will just touch on a few of my favorites. Two ways to cook corn over a fire and both are great tasting. Leave the corn in the husk and place in aluminum foil with some water and butter. Wrap tight and toss them in the bottom of the fire on the hot embers. This way is I would say the most popular among campsite cooks.

But there is another way. Remove the husk and cut the corn cob in two parts. Smear with butter and then place directly over the fire on the grill. You get a flame grilled flavor and ad seasoning to taste.

At this point I also slice onion and peppers and place them over the flame on the grill also. I like the crisp flame kissed taste to these. You can also wrap the onion whole in aluminum foil with a little water and lots of butter and place it in the embers also. Now I do the aluminum wrapped potatoes. (Hard to beat these)

And as far as the main dish, it can be anything of your liking such as fresh caught fish or hamburgers or my personal favorite thick steaks! When I pack for the trip I will place steaks in a big freezer bag marinating in either Italian dressing, or homemade seasoning with some sort of marinara . Nothing taste better than a true flame cooked steak.

When cooking the fish I do not add much to it. I will splash lemon juice on it and maybe a few spices but not much. I am a big fan of fresh parsley… Oh and I forgot to mention, when cooking in a skillet, it IS cast iron… Nothing like home fries and bacon and eggs in the morning before you go out on the fishing trip for the day!!!

See you out there, and remember.. put out all unattended fires!
gunner

No comments: