Thursday, January 29, 2009

Depth Finder / Fish Finder

Depth Finder / Fish Finder
by gunner

Now in today’s fishing world the Hummingbird's are just as common as the reel on the end of your fishing pole. And this comes with good reason, knowledge! It is a simple equation that works in almost anything in our everyday life, “The more you know about something, the easier it is to do”. The more you know about the water you are fishing, the better you can make decisions on where and how to fish.

I have recently heard a story about a guy that wanted to buy one of these electronic miracles. His wife had questioned him wanting to know “why” he needed this. His answer was, “Because I want one”. Now as it happened he got the unit, but I am sure not without some further “questioning” once they got back home… Anyone that is married, should know what I mean by that!

Had this man given a better answer or even better yet told her what he wanted one for even before they went to the store, I might not have even heard about this little incident. So what I would like to do in this article is maybe offer some idea’s that might help as how to answer that “Why” question when it comes your turn to buy one.

Because I want one or Bill Dance uses one, might be good enough reasons for the person wanting to buy one, it is not the answer the other half is looking for. Money / price is a big factor when the one that handles the monthly bills is also the one that will have to write the check for this new “toy” as I have heard them described before… So that proper thing to do is tell just what the unit WILL do for your fishing. Basically sell the idea to the other half.

A good example of this could be, “With this on the boat, I will be able to find where the fish are instead of riding around all day looking for where I think they should be” and in certain instance’s also add “That will help me get home sooner!”

Then explain a little as to what it does, staying away from how it works… there is a difference. Something like, Now I will be able to see what the bottom under the boat looks like, the drop off’s, underwater structure etc… With that I also can see where the fish are and how far down they are in the water. Which will take the guess work out of knowing what to use to try to catch them. (Also throw in the get home sooner here if it will help!) Most times it won’t take a lot of info to satisfy the check writer.

Getting ones that show the speed you are traveling on the water – Great for controlled trolling. There are ones that show the water temp – great for lure and bait selection. Now there are ones that also have a GPS built into them – great if you get lost a lot, and also marking that secret area.

What I am trying to say here is this, if you don’t have one in your boat, chances are you want one. A lot of woman in today’s household’s are the ones that handle the actual bill paying. So they will be concerned why you want to spend that money on something that will NOT guaranty fish. Why fight it, just share the info before hand… It might make it easier than you think!

I know in some households it is reversed, the husband does the check writing and the wife fishes! All I can say is, America is GREAT!!!!!

See you on the water
gunner

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so happy to find this amazing post.

Humminbird 788ci said...

Fish finder is being used by almost all fish enthusiast. And like them, I also use fish finder to make my fishing for fun and easier. Knowing all things about fish finder will make it easier to use.